BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Queen Wilhelmina Tulip Garden - San Francisco, CA

March 9, 2012

I decided to welcome 30 by spending a weekend in San Francisco checking things off of my places to visit/things to do list. After visiting the Conservatory of Flowers, I headed over to the Queen Wilhelmina Tulip Garden, which is located at the edge of Golden Gate Park, on the ocean side. Since tulips are early bloomers, March was the perfect time to visit! The garden is full of variously colored tulips and large orange corn (I think) poppies. A large dutch windmill stands at the edge of the garden, which once served as the irrigation system to pump water to the plants in the park, but is no longer in use.  Word on the street (or here on the internets) is that the garden is named after Queen Wilhelmina of the Netherlands because she donated the windmill in 1902. The garden is quite beautiful and I can imagine it would be a lovely place to sit a spell and read a book. My birthday shenanigan cohorts found the bench a suitable place to engage in serious conversation while I ran around and took pictures. I just couldn't help myself...tulips are my favorite!












0 comments: