BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 15, 2009

Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History - Washington D.C.

June 13, 2009

Three hours is NOT enough time to spend in one of the Smithsonian museums! There's so much to see! The National Museum of National History had two floors of exhibits that twisted and turned so much that you didn't know where you were until you ended up back in the middle of the museum. The Oceans Hall is new and pretty sweet. The Hall of Mammals didn't do much for me...guess I'd rather see live animals...although there were some cool ones I had never heard of before. The hall of live plants and butterflies was disappointing because it was more focused on insects and the only live plants were in a walk-through butterfly thing that you had to pay for. There were some cool live insects though...I'd never seen locusts before and those things are huge! My favorite part of the museum was the Hall of Geology, Gems, and Minerals and the Soil exhibit. There were some AMAZING rocks and minerals in every color imaginable and they had the Hope Diamond on display. The soil exhibit had a soil profile from every U.S. state and all kinds of other fun stuff. I think I need to spend some more time there to brush up on my soil science for work! And the best part of it all? It was free!! Apparently all of the museums in D.C. are...I had no idea... Anyhow, we definitely needed more time, but we had already walked around most of the D.C. monuments and Ann and I were both ready to cut off our feet. Someday I shall return!


The museum!!

Elephant in the middle of the 1st floor

These pictures were taken by...
My marine science professor!!!

Hall of Oceans

The Hope Diamond

Fun signs from the soil exhibit

Sugar glider (just for Jeni)

Giraffe (for mom)

Rawr!

Monarch (not real...haha!)

0 comments: