BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, June 15, 2009

The Field of Dreams - Dyersville, IA

June 9, 2009

The two previous times that I drove across country I begged my parents to go to the Field of Dreams. But we were always too far away... So when Ann and I were planning our road trip and she said "every time I go to Iowa, I want to go to Field of Dreams, but we're always so far away..." I knew we had to go! So after an overnight stop in Hawarden, Iowa to visit Ann's grandmas and aunt, we headed out on Highway 20 (not the greatest highway I've driven on) through endless farms to Dyersville, Iowa. A dinky little town like all the rest of them, but the field totally makes it worth the drive. There were only a few other people there, but apparently there's a constant stream of people year-round. One couple from just a few towns away were on a date for their anniversary and had brought a glove, softballs, and a bat to play with. They were taking pictures and hitting balls while we walked around in the outfield. We started chatting with them and they told us we had to hit a few balls, so they let us use all their gear. Neither of us had played baseball in a while, so we pretty much sucked, but we hit a few and it was such a blast to be playing on the Field of Dreams! The farm is actually private land and a family lives in the home, so you can't go inside, but the bleachers are there and the corn grows around the field (even though it was still short while we were there) just like in the movie. I of course had to pick up a magnet at the souvenir stand that said "Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa"


The field

The house
The corn hasn't grown up yet...

Sittin' in the bleachers

Posing

I'm a very serious ball player...

0 comments: