BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Julia Pfeiffer Burns State Park - Big Sur, CA

September 30, 2013

I've made several trips down to Big Sur since living in Monterey for the past 12+ years. I haven't camped there since high school, but now being only 45 minutes away allows for easy day trips. I usually end up either just stopping at all the pullouts along the highway or heading to the Big Sur River Inn to hang out on the lawn by the river. I've taken a few other trails, but they have been few and far between. So I've decided it's high time to start exploring all of the different parks and trails the area has to offer, especially since I my cousin and her husband recently moved to the area and I get the pleasure of playing tour guide for them.

Not long before our trip, my cousin had informed me she had never seen a waterfall. I could hardly comprehend what she was saying. Growing up in California I've seen my fair share of waterfalls. But she grew up in Michigan, where they ski down what Californians would consider a "sorta big hill". I suppose if there's no place high enough for water to fall from, you're probably not very likely to see a waterfall, right. So I knew I had to take her to see McWay Falls for our Big Sur adventure. From what I hear, it's one of only two waterfalls in North America that fall into the ocean (the other the other I just learned is at Point Reyes National Seashore). And it's gorgeous! We also took the short easy hike back to the Canyon Falls, which is pretty small, but you can walk right up to it. The trail to the Canyon Falls is a pretty easy, nearly half mile,  hike that winds up through the redwoods. It was quite a peaceful hike, especially since there weren't many people on the trail.

On the Trail: 




Her first waterfall:

Canyon Falls:

McWay Falls: 





Big Sur Coast:

0 comments: