BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, April 10, 2010

Fremont Peak State Park - San Juan Bautista, CA

April 10, 2010

It was a cold, cloudy, windy day. But there was no way I was staying inside when I had a brand new camera that needed to be broken in. So I layered up and headed out to Fremont Peak. The road up to the park is about 11 miles of narrow twists and and blind curves through grassy hills, oak woodland, and chaparral. Wildflowers dot the walls of the roadcuts and oaks and Madrones arch over the road creating tunnels. I took my time getting to the park, stopping to take pictures where pullouts made it safe to stop. Once I finally reached the top, I took the road up past the radio towers and scrambled up the rocks to the summit. The view was amazing despite the ominous gray clouds above my head. I could just see Monterey Bay and the Salinas River catching what little sun was able to break through. The wind wasn't as bad as I expected and I sat on the rocks and ate what might have been the most delicious apple in the world. Not a bad day after all. I will definitely go back on a clear day, hopefully in the spring so the wildflowers that covered the hillsides will actually be open.


Clematis
Creeping sage
Mini Mushrooms
Wallflower
Star Lily
Monterey Bay through sun rays
Hanging out at the summit
Marker at the summit of Fremont Peak
The light part underneath the dark clouds is Monterey Bay, I promise
And the Salinas Valley is out there somewhere
Phacelia
False Lupine
Shooting Star