BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Monday, September 10, 2012

Lassen National Park - Lassen, CA

September 8, 2012

I visited Lassen National Park while on a school camping trip in college and have wanted to go back ever since. While on a family camping trip at McArthur-Burney Falls State Park this year I was able to do just so when we took a day trip to do some hiking. And you know what, I still want to go back! There's so much to do and see there that a day trip is not nearly enough! 

Last time around I visited in June and there were walls of snow taller than our 15 passenger van. The roads were all open though and we made it to the summit trail parking lot. We also did a short hike to some sulphur springs right off the road.  This year it was probably somewhere in the high 70's-80's and we hiked down to Bumpass Hell, another set of sulphur springs. We also stopped at the visitors center and checked out the cool junior ranger gear and bought some pins for our backpacks. I also picked up some nerdy scientist books, 'cause it's just what I do. Then we watched the little video the show on how the area was formed. It was pretty interesting stuff, but with a group as big as our with the big personalities we have, I'm a little surprised we didn't get kicked out. I'm pretty sure at one point I yelled out "oh look a chicken" when a picture of some weird bird came up on the screen. But it was Katie's dad who lost the "lets see who can stay quiet for a whole minute game," of course.

Bumpass Hell trail was a lot of fun. Almost 2 miles long one way, with a sorta steep hill at the end, which doesn't mix well at that altitude with asthma, but I made it back alive so it's all good! There were some great vistas along the way and a beautiful lupine field, where Katie and Vicki showed off their gymnastics.  Once you get down to the sulphur springs there are wooden boardwalks that take you near the different pools, but even before you get there you'll smell the rotten eggs, which can almost knock you on your butt if the wind's blowing the right way! STINK-Y!

So I will have to go back and spend more time there in the future. I want to try the summit trail, although I don't know how long it is. I've heard going up isn't so bad, but the loose rock and steep trail make it a bit scary going back down. Also, kayaking on Manzanita Lake is high on the to-do list. It was just beautiful as we drove by! I'll also be requesting a bear sighting for next time. Not quite the sighting I had while at Kings Canyon National Park, but a sighting nonetheless.







"Gymnastics"
















Lake Helen

0 comments: