BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Conservatory of Flowers - San Francisco, CA

March, 9, 2012

I decided to welcome 30 by spending a weekend in San Francisco checking things off of my places to visit/things to do list. And being the plant nerd that I am, the first item on the list was a trip to the Conservatory of Flowers in Golden Gate park, a place I'd been longing to visit since at least high school. In 1995 it was closed for rehabilitation and didn't reopen until 2003, and then it took me nine more years to actually get there. Alison and Jenny were my faithful companions that day, patiently wandering and waiting while I got all science nerd with the plants and photography nerd with the camera. 

First I must say the building and grounds are quite impressive; long rows of colorful flowerbeds lead you to the entrance of the glowing white Conservatory. There were five different rooms to visit, each exhibiting a different type of habitat, and we strolled slowly taking in all the different plants. There were so many interesting colors and forms that I can't even try pick one that was my favorite, but the orchids were particularly interesting and there were a lot of different kinds. The last exhibit we visited was a special exhibit dedicated to the old Playland at the Beach. There was a huge small scale model of Playland created by using recycled items, like old pencil sharpeners, Playdough cans, and board games. There were even funhouse mirrors, bumper cars (unfortunately not moving ones), and a fortune teller machine. Fun stuff!

0 comments: